Applicants for the degree course in high school teaching – subject art (double subject) must
- general or relevant subjectrelated university entrance qualifications or
- general or subjectrelated university entrance qualifications for vocationally qualified persons.
Application for a place at the academy comprises several components, whereby the applicant's portfolio of works constitutes the basis for pre-selection by the admissions committee. The portfolio should reflect the applicant's interests and an intensive study of content and subjects of the applicant’s choice.
- Application letter stating desired area of study
- Curriculum vitae
- Certified copies of credentials and academic qualifications
- Two passport photos
- Portfolio with at least 20 original works of art. Digital works may be submitted in digital form (CD or USB stick). Large, bulky or threedimensional works should not be submitted in original, but as a photo/illustration in the portfolio
- Signed statement that the submitted works were created by the applicant without any help
- Details of whether application documents should be personally collected or returned by post
Applicants from nonGerman speaking countries must provide proof of sufficient German language skills. The minimum requirement is Level B2 according to CEFR. Applicants who have obtained the general or subjectrelated university entrance qualification outside the scope of the German Basic Law (Constitution) i.e. abroad, must before applying, have submitted all of their certificates (which have to be recognized) along with the „Antrag auf Bewertung von Bildungsnachweisen“ (=application for evaluating foreign academic certificates) to the Academy as soon as possible so that the recognition can be granted before 15th of May. Applicants from China, Vietnam and Mongolia should always submit the APS Certificate. Further details are available from the Secretary’s Office.
Incomplete applications are not eligible for consideration. The academy is excluded from liability for loss or damage of submitted application documents.
Applicants should send all application documents for all courses to the Student Administration Office:
Akademie der Bildenden Künste Nürnberg, Stichwort Bewerbung, Bingstraße 60, 90480 Nürnberg
Applicants regarded as suitable on account of the works they have submitted (portfolio) shall be admitted to the aptitude test (approx. mid July). It consists of a practical and oral examination.
The practical examination consists of an exercise (4-8 hours, composition of candidate’s choice or subject-related exercise in fine art/goldsmithing and silversmithing and graphic design/visual communication).
The oral examination (approx. 10 minutes) is conducted after the practical examination with the candidate individually and consists of an interview in which questions on art are posed.
The examination results are deliberated by the committee. The applicant admitted to the test is notified of the dates for the practical and oral examination in the notification of admission which is sent to them after pre-selection. The aptitude test can only be repeated once for the same area of study.
The pre-study practical is a period of practical work lasting at least eight weeks or an apprenticeship certification exam in a relevant line of occupation which must be completed before commencement of study.